The Kadazandusun Cultural Association, Sabah (KDCA) and its partners, the Faculty of Hotel & Tourism Management, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) Sabah and Secretariat of Local Knowledge, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang, will be hosting the 1st International Conference on Spirituality, Culture and Sustainable Tourism (SCST2017) on 28 May – 2 June 2017 in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia-Borneo.
The conference is also held in conjunction with the 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development (#IY2017), and hopes to provide a platform for various tourism industry players, researchers, academicians and stakeholders in the tourism and hospitality industries to present and discuss their knowledge and findings relevant to the conference theme.
The aims of this conference are:
1. To prospect the new field of spiritual tourism studies in relation to sustainable development
2. To provide a forum for global research collaboration and mentoring
3. To explore spiritual and ecological tourism products, services and processes
4. To gain knowledge from the last custodians of indigenous (local) knowledge
Theme & Plenary Sessions:
The conference theme, “Spirituality, Culture and Sustainable Tourism” goes hand-in-hand with the importance of Local Knowledge and Sustainable Development. The plenary sessions will be held over the period of 2-days and is divided under the following niche themes:
- Session 1 – Worldviews and Beliefs
- Session 2 – Spirituality and Ecology
- Session 3 – Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Traditions
- Session 4 – Sustainable Tourism Development